Even though my Rebel, Rebel Princess costume is still a fairly new build, I’m already working on a V2 after wearing it a few times. One of the things I wanted to change was the boots. The ones I bought initially worked just fine, but they weren’t very comfortable. I hardly ever wear shoes with heels, so those boots were awful for walking and standing in. So, I decided to make GLITTER BOOTS!
I ended up buying a cheap pair of white boots off of Amazon. I figured if the process didn’t work, I’d be out $15 and some glitter. I’m always a little skeptical of cheap shoes, so I wasn’t sure what I’d get when they arrived. Thankfully, they were pretty much what I expected:
While I wouldn’t wear these boots on a daily basis (they’re not super high quality), they will definitely work for costumes. In fact, if I ever make a “normal” Senatorial Leia costume, I’ll probably buy these again.
The first thing I did was remove the buckles. The buckles around the ankles weren’t attached at all, so I just slipped those off. The top buckles were easily removed with a seam ripper. I ended up saving the hardware just in case I can use them for another project. Yay, recycling!
The next thing I did was tape off the soles with ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape to protect them from painting and glittering. Then, I began the process of painting the boots silver with DecoArt Patent Leather paint. I bought two bottles, and I’m glad I did. It took several coats (I think five?) to get some decent coverage. If I wasn’t covering them in glitter, I probably would have done several more coats just to make sure there was solid coverage (and would probably need three bottles of paint total for that). It also took quite a while for the paint to dry and lose its tackiness, so the painting process took several days since I’d do one coat right after work and then a second coat later in the evening. This is how the boots looked after the painting process:
You can see the very attractive blue tape on the soles. FASHION.
Now, for the fun and messy part: GLITTER!
I basically followed the same process I used for glittering my blaster. I used regular Mod Podge as my adhesive for the glitter by painting a section with a coat of Mod Podge and then shaking silver glitter onto the section. I patted it down lightly and then shook off the excess glitter. I repeated the process until both boots were covered. When all was said and done, the boots weren’t the only things covered in glitter. So were my desk, my carpet, my clothing, my cats…
I waited until the base coat of Mod Podge dried and then used two coats of Mod Podge Extreme Glitter (mixed with a little of the silver glitter) to seal the glitter. The nice thing about the Extreme Glitter Mod Podge is that the glitter is iridescent, so not only does it sea in the silver glitter, it adds an extra dimension of sparkle.
When the Mod Podge sealing coats dried, I removed the blue tape. The boots were complete!
I wore the boots for the first time at AniMinneapolis for the masquerade. Fearing the worst, I brought along an emergency glitter repair kit with me with a little of the glittery Mod Podge, a small vial of glitter, and a paintbrush. Luckily, I didn’t need to use it for the 8 hours or so I was wearing the boots.
That said, the boots did suffer some damage from wear. It’s interesting how there are tons of tutorials online about how to glitter a pair of shoes, but nobody really shows what happens after you wear them. I think if you glitter a section of a shoe or glitter a pair of flats, there isn’t as much damage. But, these are knee-high boots that are kind of slouch-style, so there are a lot of folds and creases to consider, so I don’t think there’s a surefire way to avoid cracking. Here are photos of the “battle damage” from wearing the boots:
For the piece that actually peeled off of the boot, I just used fabric glue to reattach it. For some of the smaller cracks where the white boot showed through, I used a silver Sharpie as a base instead of messing around with paint again. Then, I just used the same glittering process as above on any areas with cracks. I’m pretty sure the repair process is something I’ll have to do with each wear, and that’s fine. This isn’t a costume I wear all the time so it’s not a huge problem. The plus side is that even if there is cracking, the boots are so glittery that nobody notices. Also, the gown is long enough to cover the majority of the boots, so it’s not totally obvious.