Glie-44 Nerf Blaster Repaint

When a bunch of new toys for Star Wars: The Last Jedi were released on Force Friday last year, one of the items I picked up was Poe Dameron’s Glie-44 Nerf blaster. I knew I’d likely use it for making a “Last Jedi” Poe costume or some other use.

I decided to repaint it in April, and the first thing I did was take it completely apart. There were a few reasons for this: 1) I wanted to spray paint the different parts separately to give them a cleaner look and 2) I wanted to remove the mechanism that fires Nerf darts so that the prop would be allowed into conventions, since many conventions don’t permit weapons that fire any projectiles (even Nerf darts). But, I also didn’t want to remove any of the parts that would allow the blaster to make “PEW PEW” noises or light up.

The part I removed was the part outlined in blue:

Glie-44-Detail

Basically, it’s the piece with the giant spring in it. When the blaster is unaltered, there’s a mechanism you pull backwards to prepare the blaster to fire a dart when the trigger is pulled. By removing the part with the giant spring in it, the mechanism still triggers the barrel to light up, but no longer fires a dart. The mechanism needs to be manually pushed back into the blaster, but that’s fine by me. And, the trigger still makes “PEW PEW” noises, and that was the most important part for me.

Once everything was disassembled, I sanded off the logos and warning messages embossed on both sides of the blaster. I used painter’s tape to tape off the small areas where the light shines through when the blaster fires. Then, I took all pieces that would be external-facing and sprayed them with several coats of primer. I didn’t use Filler Primer this time, because unlike 3D printed props, I didn’t need to fill in any small ridges.

Once the primer was dried, I re-assembled the blaster (minus the part I wanted to remove) and filled in the holes where the screws went in with wood filler – except for the one screw that attached the battery plate to the blaster (that needed to be left alone so I could change the battery when needed). I used wood filler and a little Bondo to fill in the seams where the two sides of the blaster met, and once everything was dry I sanded it down. Then, I took the blaster outside for a couple more coats of primer.

Once the primer was dry, I painted the entire blaster in a coat of DecoArt Dazzling Metallics acrylic paint in Shimmering Silver. Then, I painted everything but the barrel in a coat of DecoArt Americana Gloss Enamels in Rich Espresso. I then painted the handle of the blaster in a mix of DecoArt Americana Gloss Enamel in Zinc and Plaid Folk Art Metallics in Black. I used a mix of the Rich Espresso and Black to add the darker areas of weathering in the areas where more dirt and grime would typically settle.

Once all the paint was dry, I sealed everything with a couple of coats of Mod Podge Hard Coat. Then, I took off the blue painter’s tape, and called it done!

Advertisement

One thought on “Glie-44 Nerf Blaster Repaint

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s